Thursday, May 10, 2012

A Very Krispy Birthday

Krispy Kreme is celebrating its 75th birthday this year. 

Sign the giant birthday card here.


I have a fondness for the KK donut. Don't get me wrong, Dunkin' Donuts is what I think of when you mention the word "donuts." I am oldschool; in fact, I miss the actual dunkin' donut with the little dough handle. But Krispy Keme always has a special place in my heart.

We didn't always have Krispy Kreme in NJ... The first time I had one was when I was taking my brother to his out-of-state school in the '90s. My husband and I went to the grand opening (5am!) of the first NJ Krispy Kreme  location, which just happened to be in his hometown. I still have the t-shirt to prove it.

It was because of that fun memory that we opted for a nontraditional wedding dessert. Unfortunately, when we did get married, Krispy Kreme was going through some growing pains and closed all NJ locations. But luckily, a nearby supermarket was able to get them for us and voila...

krispy kreme wedding cake diy

Our Krispy Kreme Wedding Cake


Based on an idea done on television...
  • Take three different sized cake boards with ruffled edges. Separate them with three different sized terra cotta pots painted pearl white (bottoms up).
  • Place a wooden dowel through the holes of the pots and boards, leaving about 2 inches on the top. Balance a fourth terracotta pot filled with flowers on the top pot, letting the dowel secure in the floral foam. Make sure there is no leaking.
  • Place enough donuts to make the "cake" look full. Stick wired ribbons in the floral display and let them stream down.
  • Up to you whether or not you serve right off the display or have them plated straight from the boxes in the kitchen. (Our reception site served them with some raspberry sauce swirled on a plate).
  • A lot cheaper than a real wedding cake. If a cake is already included in your reception cost like ours was, see if you can negotiate the fee or ask for something extra... we got a fruit course.
Photography: Dennis Becker; Florist Hoski's

No comments:

Post a Comment