Tuesday, December 6, 2011

DAY TWO: What's Missing?

Started the day off right...
BREAKFAST
Cereal with milk. (The hubby had cereal with milk, orange juice, and coffee)
Took along some snacks for the day: chips, cheese stick, two clementines. Was going to make a sandwich, no time, will do it when get back home. (You DO see where this is going, right?)

LUNCH
Needed to finish something before I left my morning job. Then the boss threw in some extra work that needed to be done ASAP, and then had a 75 minute meeting. I worked through my lunch break (the hour I have between jobs) to try and finish, I didn't. Went to my second job (at the lovely Heidi's Cottage) without eating anything. Ok, I did grab one of the Werther's Originals we have scattered around the store. (But honestly, this is not an isolated circumstance. I often miss meals: either I'm running late at breakfast time and rely on my snacks, or I'm running late at lunchtime and rely on a quick prepared food somewhere on my route OR go the martyr route and not get anything.This is fast becoming less of a foodstamp challenge and more of an admission that I really need to change some bad dietary habits!)
(The hubby had a granola bar- actually there are two in the package but who really just eats just one, a clementine, a bag of chips and a sandwich).

DINNER
Tonight's "Italian Night". I grab the pound of frozen turkey that's been thawing in the fridge and cook it up in a tablespoon of butter. I've never bought turkey in a plastic tube before but it doesn't look bad. I save half for "Mexican Night", and start making the sauce: 1 can of $1 diced tomatoes, 1/3 bottle of $1.50 Prego VeggieSmart pasta sauce, a cheese stick (lowfat, it takes time to melt into the sauce), garlic, paprika (don't judge me, this is based on my German mother's recipe). Cook it down and serve with half a box of $1 Ragu Garden Delight pasta. A delightful nonsparkling water with lemon juice is the perfect compliment to the meal. Lucky (the hubby's nickname) thinks it's good, but not as good as yesterday's meal which he wants added to my repertoire.

Before he goes upstairs to work on our annual Christmas card, he sits down beside me and says with a sad, solemn look on his face. "Heidi, I need to tell you something." "Yes?" "I, um, I cheated... This afternoon, I went out and had a coffee and donut... I was hungry. If it makes it any better, it was a SMALL coffee..." Yes, we will be subtracting that $2.48 from the budget :)

Not certain how healthy we actually are eating (when we are eating)... thinking that even with the veggie-infused dinner, we probably aren't getting enough of something. Even with taking our daily vitamins. Need to check on that.

*******************************************
So, question: have you voted for MoveForHunger yet? This national nonprofit based in NJ is one of five organizations who could win a $1million grant from Chase Community Giving. Just go to the Facebook Page and vote TODAY and TOMORROW. It is the only hunger-related nonprofit up for this grant AND it donates to the Community FoodBank of New Jersey.

*******************************************

Move For Hunger is a non-profit organization that works with moving companies across America to pick up the unopened, non-perishable food items from people during the moving process and deliver it to their local food banks. When people move, they throw away a whole bunch of "stuff." Unfortunately, a lot of this "stuff" is food that could go to a family in need rather than thrown away. That's where Move For Hunger comes in. In just two years, Move For Hunger has teamed up with over 160 moving companies in 37 states. Together, we have delivered over 330,000 lbs of food to food banks across the nation - this is enough to provide over 250,000 life-saving meals to those in need. With 1 in 6 Americans struggling to find their next meal and 1 in 7 Americans moving each year, Move For Hunger provides an out-of-the-box solution to our nation's growing hunger problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment