Wednesday, March 13, 2013

DOLLAR DINNER SERIES The "What Came First" Soup (Chicken/Egg)

I will start posting some of my budget meals in this blog. 
And I thought I would start with this... Because I love soup. 

Not as much as I love my family and friends. But pretty darn close. Some days I would eat soup at every meal, and not because I was sick.

Leftovers are the perfect excuse to make soup. See what's in the fridge, throw it in a pot with some broth and rice or noodles and voila: Soup! Today I made what I call "What Came First" Soup: chicken noodle - egg drop soup. It was very filling and easy to make.

Ingredients (Feeds 4-6)

  • 2 large pieces of cooked or fried chicken (leftover Acme "Cheep Chicken" Special $5.99/8)
  • Quart of water
  • 2 large chicken bouillon cubes ($.99/8)  1.50 .25 .10 .42 .25 .50 .26
  • 1 diced onion (Acme Produce Sale $1/10)
  • 8 oz egg noodles (the 2nd 1/2 of a bag $1/2)
  • 1 cup diced carrots (Acme Produce Sale $1/4)
  • 1/2 avocado (Aldi $2.49/3)
  • 2 eggs Aldi ($1.65/12)
  • Optional: Hot sauce such as yellow pepper sauce (Aji Amarillo)

Instructions

Fill pot with water. Place on medium heat. Add bouillon cubes, carrots, onions, avocado, and diced chicken (skin removed).  Heat until boiling. Add noodles and boil for about 10 minutes. Crack eggs into broth and quickly stir.  Add hot sauce to taste.

$3.28 total (per serving $.55 - $.82)

Don't forget to add vegetable scraps and the rinsed eggshells to your compost pile.

No comments:

Post a Comment