Friday, February 1, 2013

A New Year, A New Way

As I did winter cleaning in the kitchen, I came across some canned food that had passed their expiration dates. Unfortunately they had to be tossed which of course upset me (Yes, they were reallllly over. How I had missed them last year, I don't know!). Community FoodBank of NJ volunteer seventeen years and counting.

So I'm thinking this year, I am going to concentrate more on avoiding food waste. I already started last summer when I created a compost bin. But I know we need to do more. Came across this article: 29 Smart and Easy Tips to Reduce Food Waste.  And it had several good tips. Like how to use up fruit before it goes totally bad. Wish us luck.

For some stats: Check out this infograph from  Door-to-Door Organics.

food waste graphic infograph
PS: Kudos for Cory Booker eating his burnt sweet potatoes instead of tossing them during his food stamp challenge. But I wish he had done better with planning. His mom should come up and teach him how to cook. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment