I know what you're thinking, chocolate covered bacon is so 2009.You're right... That's around the time I started making this little treat to bring to parties. Everyone who's tried it loves it. I tried making a vegetarian version of it using "fakin' bacon" but it didn't work. It's the fat content of the bacon that helps makes this so delicious.
Can't watch the video because you're at work?
Well, honestly, you don't even have to... it's so simple to make chocolate bacon. Or like I call it "Schinkolat" (Schinken = German for ham, Chocolat = French for chocolate).
HOW TO MAKE CHOCOLATE COVERED BACON
- Two large bars of chocolate or one giant one. Dark chocolate works best (I prefer German chocolate but often just get what's on sale)
- Pound of bacon (Again, whatever's on sale)
- Place bacon on a baking sheet (No grease necessary. You will probably need to do this is two batches. using aluminum foil makes cleanup easier) and set in preheated oven at 350° for 20-30 minutes. Bacon should be fully cooked but still a little chewy.
- Remove sheet from oven. Place bacon on paper towel covered plate and pat dry with more paper towels. Let bacon fat solidify on aluminum foil and throw away (unless you want to save it for cooking).
- Put cooled bacon on cake rack.
- Break chocolate into small pieces and put in microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high for 2 minutes and stir until chocolate is all melted.
- Spoon chocolate over one side of the bacon.
- Put the chocolate bacon on a plasticwrapped plate or wax paper and place in refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- Break into smaller pieces.
- Serve over ice cream. Also works well with whiskys.
- Be prepared to be asked for the recipe.